Thursday, June 16, 2011

Brinlee's 3rd surgery















Brinlee had her third surgery on May 5th. This surgery was to start repairing her soft palate and they made an uvula for her. To repair the soft palate they cut skin from the sides of the palate and stretch and cross it over to make a soft palate. Her palate was pretty wide so they couldn't do the whole repair. They will do another surgery in a year where they will do the same thing with the muscle and then her soft palate will be completely closed off. I was nervous for this surgery, but Brinlee did great. She had a hard time when she first came out of surgery and was only content if I was holding her and we had to keep up on the pain meds or she had a really hard time. After about 12 hours she started to feel much better and was much happier. We had to stay in the hospital for two days because Brinlee didn't want to eat, but she was a happy baby. We went on lots of walks throughout the hospital and played while Brinlee sat in a high chair or on my lap. She was "talking" more, smiling more and genuinely happier that I have ever seen her. I think she likes having a soft palate. I think towards the end of her stay she was sick of the hospital and wanting to go home because she got really restless and grumpy. I love this little angel and am so proud of how brave she is. Watching her go through all of this is so hard, but I feel a special bond to her and love her so much. I must say she is quite attached to me also, which I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment